Tuesday, March 31, 2009

LL10 - Why Play is Vital

My clearest memory of play in childhood took place when I was about 4 years old. My family had just moved to Louisville, KY from my birthplace of Cincinnati, OH. Most of my family lived in Cincinnati and it was a hard move for all of us. We missed my grandparents, aunts, and uncles, as well as all of our friends. For the first winter in Louisville, my dad had a brilliant idea. In Cincinnati, we hadn't had a large yard or driveway, but in Louisville we had lots of room. Dad took me to the store, and we bought a huge inflatable dragon pool toy. When we got home, he blew it up, and we began taking turns riding it down the driveway. I rode the dragon with my sisters and parents, and soon enough the neighborhood kids were joining us. It was such fun, and I will never forget it.

This play experience was definitely a family bonding experience for me. My dad is a doctor, and was in residency at the time, so it was an unexpected time with him. Seeing him ride the dragon down the driveway was quite a sight! This led to me being so connected with my family, as did other experiences playing with my family. Also, it helped increase my confidence because I was able to make friends through this activity. Some of these friends turned into my best friends that I got the chicken pox with, went to school with, and even watched the Kentucky Derby together.

No comments:

Post a Comment