Tuesday, March 3, 2009

LL7 - Learning Artifact

1. In this class I've learned about Twitter, which I had heard of but never really used. I also learned about a few concept map web sites, which I think would be extremely useful in the classroom. Those are probably my favorite tools I've learned about.
2. The teaching strategy that have been most influential to me was just the idea of walking around the classroom. While I have done this while volunteering in schools, it never struck me why this was so important until Mr. Sessums did it in class. This is probably the first class I've had where the teacher made an effort to continually wander around the classroom. It keeps me focused on what we're discussing, as well as convincing me that he cares about each person in the class. Just the impact of watching this has truly effected the way I plan to teach, even though it isn't really something that was focused on as much in the book.
3. I would like to learn about the effectiveness of videos in the classroom. I have always liked watching them because it gives a break from the teacher talking, but am not sure how much most students really pay attention to them. Is there a good time vs. a bad time to use them in the classroom?


This picture made such a profound impact on me when I first saw it. We have discussed in class the concept of learning with technology, and not from it. These little girls exemplified this for me. They could not be more than 3 years old, yet they are using technology together, with no instruction. While I'm sure their parents or some other adult taught them how to get on the computer and start up the learning process, it is obvious by the look on their faces that they are learning something new. Perhaps the girl in front is even teaching her friend how to do something. Teaching does not just come from teachers, but also from peers. These girls are teaching each other, as well as learning from the technology in their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment