Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Educational Philosophy

Most of my educational experience has been, of course, while I was in school. Based on this experience, I have come to a few conclusions about education in general and also teachers' responsibilities. I see education's biggest purpose as readying students for life after school. This is not to say that teachers should teach their students how to change light bulbs and the essentials of a clean house, but most skills that are taught should have an application that will genuinely help students in the future.

Based on this assessment, the purpose of teachers is to teach as many students as much as they can. I am not much for the idea that teachers should not move on with material until all of the students have mastered it. However, I am not saying that they should drive forward with material and just leave those struggling in the dust. Teachers serve as both an instructor and support system to their students.

I believe students learn best when the concepts they are learning are applied to a real-life example. For example, while many students dread word problems, I always thought that they were the best way to teach and test math skills. My goals for my students are for them to at least try to reach their potential. I would like them to be engaged in class. I think that all students have the capacity to learn, as long as they put forth an effort. Teachers owe their students concentration, support, and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment