Thursday, January 22, 2009

LL3 - RSS Lab

Starting out this assignment, I was not sure at all what to expect. Setting up the RSS feed was so simple though, I thought that I had not finished. It took me a little while to figure out that I was done. Discovering what happens when you add sites to the feed was an experience. It also took me some time to play around with it and see how it worked. Once I added all of my sites and fooled around with the Google Reader for a while, it was so simple I could not believe it. The only problem I had was how overwhelming the amount of new information was. News sites come up with a ridiculous amount of new stories every hour, and it is difficult to keep up with them. On the other hand, regular blogs are not updated as often since there is only one author and they write on a whim.

I am subscribed to Yahoo! News, The New York Times, FOXNews, and AOL's lead stories. Also, I added two blogs from blogspot, one mostly about decorating styles and architecture, and the other about food and creative recipes. Another blog I've subscribed to is the Alligator's sports blog. Harper's Journal, The New Yorker, and The Weather Channel round off my subscriptions.

In a classroom, a feed reader with news stories would be a good way to start off the day and keep students updated on what's going on in the world. It could also be extremely helpful if a student is doing an assignment and needs the most up-to-date information for their data.

No comments:

Post a Comment